Damascus Center for Human Rights Studies (DCHRS)

Death Toll Since March 15, 2011 Until Dec 31, 2017

Death Toll Since March 15, 2011 Until Dec 31, 2017

PDF Report

Throughout March 15th, 2011 to December 31, 2017, the Damascus Center for Human Rights Studies (DCHRS) documented a provisional total of 153,138 casualties. 79% of those killed were civilians accumulating to 121,172 civilian victims. The remaining 21% belonged to one of the fighting factions. The number of documented children during the indicated period is 17,069 Children victims at a rate of 11% of the total victims. The documented number of women casualties is 11,978 at a rate of 8% of the total victims.


The total number of combatants that DCHRS documented is approximately 31,966 casualties with a ratio of 21% of the total number of victims. Nevertheless, 19% is the ratio of women and children combined. Therefore, for every soldier killed, a child or a woman is killed, and about more than three civilians are also killed.


Based on the above statistics and charts, the Damascus Center for Human Rights Studies (DCHRS) calls the international community to terminate the indiscriminate aggression of aerial aviation, which is designed specifically to target civilians deliberately. DCHRS commends any efforts or initiatives to establish a safe zone in Syria, which shall save many lives of civilians. Furthermore, DCHRS condemns the constant aerial bombardment of the regime air forces, Russian air forces, and the U.S led coalition forces, for perpetrating crimes against humanity and war crimes against the Syrian Civilians. Also, DCHRS denounces the continues failure of the UN Security Council to achieve mechanisms to end violence in Syria, and to account crime perpetrators to justice. Additionally, DCHRS urges the UN and the international community to further implement the “Ceasefire” agreement, the “de-escalation zone” agreement, and to create a no-fly zone that could prevent the deaths of many children, women, and civilians.


DCHRS, inspired by its main mission in documenting and monitoring human rights violation in Syria and as a member of the  International Coalition for the Responsibility to Protect (ICRtoP), urges all the concerned organization to work on, referring the cases of these massacres, and the many other massacres perpetrated by the Syrian regime, to the I.C.C. and the specialized courts, holding the individuals responsible for these crimes accountable including Bashar Al-Assad as he is the chief-in-command of the army and the armed forces.


Damascus Center for Human Rights Studies (DCHRS)

Jan 01, 2018




For more information, please contact
Dr. Radwan Ziadeh, Executive director of the Damascus Center for Human Rights Studies.
Phone (571) 205-3590
Email : radwan.ziadeh@gmail.com

Mr. Mojahed Ghadban, Communication Officer.
Telephone (479) 799-8115
Email: info@dchrs.org

DCHRS is an independent, non-governmental organization, established in 2005, located in the Syrian capital of Damascus. Its mission is to foster a spirit of support and respect for the values and standards of human rights in Syria. As such, DCHRS recognizes and adheres to all pertinent international human rights agreements and declarations issued by the UN.

  • DCHRS is a member of the following international networks:
  • International Federation for Human Rights (FIDH)
  • Euro-Mediterranean Human Rights Network (EMHRN)
  • NGO Coalition for the international Criminal Court
  • International Coalition for the Responsibility to Protect (ICRtoP)
  • International Coalition of Sites of Conscience


DCHRS worked on a variety of documentation projects. Such projects included daily casualty reports, massacre reports, and other human rights violations reports. Also DCHRS has been working on advocacy and lobbying in different human rights institutions in order to educate and acknowledge about the deteriorating human rights situation in Syria. DCHRS opened local offices in Syria in order to document, collect, and observe human rights violations on the ground. After the launch of the Syrian revolution, the center increased its activities through working, communicating, and coordinating with many members and activists. Thus the center began documenting daily violations committed by the Syrian regime forces that can be classified as crimes against humanities and war crimes. Such violations included: extrajudicial killings, massacres, arbitrary detentions, enforced disappearances, rape, torture in prisons. DCHRS submitted those reports to many international and regional human rights organizations and communicated with the Report of the independent international commission of inquiry on the Syrian Arab Republic on Syria.