Damascus Center for Human Rights Studies (DCHRS)

Al-Raqqa Province Recorded the Highest Number of Victims in May 2017

Al-Raqqa Province Recorded the Highest Number of Victims in May 2017

Casualties Report for May 2017

Executive Summary: In May 2017, DCHRS documented 728 casualties, including 104 children and 59 women. 89% of those killed were civilians. The remaining 11% were combatants, armed rebels, and soldiers from different fighting factions. Children and women respectively made up 14% and 8% of the total number of war casualties, while the remaining 67% were civilian men.

Out of the male casualties, 86% were unarmed men civilians and 14% were armed from various factions.

The highest number of casualties in May, 2017 was recorded in Al-Raqqa province (245 persons in total), followed by Der Ezzor (190 persons in total), most of whom were killed by the indiscriminate shelling the U.S led collation airstrikes, the Syrian regime strikes, and Russian forces warplanes.

Additionally, The US led coalition strikes killed 211 victims, most of whom died in AL-Raqqa and Deir Ezzor with ratio of 29% of total war victims. Russian airstrikes resulted in the death of 19 victims accumulating to 3% of the entire casualties, most of them were killed mainly in the provinces of AL-Raqqa, and Homs.

 

DCHRS_Month_of_May_2017_Casualties_Report_English