Damascus Center for Human Rights Studies (DCHRS)

Damascus Suburbs Recorded the Highest Number of Victims in April 2017

Damascus Suburbs Recorded the Highest Number of Victims in April 2017

Casualties Report for April 2017

Executive Summary: In April 2017, DCHRS documented 972 casualties, including 133 children and 114 women. 80% of those killed were civilians. The remaining 20% were combatants, armed rebels, and soldiers from different fighting factions. Children and women respectively made up 13% and 12% of the total number of war casualties, while the remaining 55% were civilian men.

Out of the male casualties, 73% were unarmed men civilians and 27% were armed from various factions.

The highest number of casualties in April, 2017 was recorded in Damascus Suburbs province (193 persons in total), followed by Idlib (190 persons in total), most of whom were killed by the indiscriminate shelling of the Syrian regime, Russian forces warplanes, and the U.S led collation airstrikes.

Additionally, Russian airstrikes resulted in the death of 210 victims accumulating to 21% of the entire casualties, most of them were killed mainly in the provinces of Damascus and suburbs, and Idlib. The US led coalition strikes killed 100 victims, most of whom died in AL-Raqqa and Deir Ezzor with ratio of 10% of total war victims.

 

DCHRS_Month_of_April_2017_Casualties_Report_English