Executive Summary: In February 2017, DCHRS documented 850 casualties, including 100 children and 89 women. 74% of those killed were civilians. The remaining 26% were combatants, armed rebels, and soldiers from different fighting factions. Children and women respectively made up 12% and 10% of the total number of war casualties, while the remaining 70% were men.
Out of the male casualties, 67% were unarmed men civilians and 33% were armed from various factions.
The highest number of casualties in February, 2017 was recorded in Daraa province (260 persons in total), followed by Damascus suburbs (156 persons in total), most of whom were killed by the indiscriminate shelling of the Syrian regime and Russian forces warplanes, and ISIS’s and the regime’s fire.
Additionally, Russian airstrikes resulted in the death of 120 victims accumulating to 14% of the entire casualties, most of them were killed mainly in the provinces of Daraa, Hama, and Aleppo regardless of the agreed “Ceasefire” that was implemented on Feb 27, 2016, and the related agreement that went into effect on Dec 29, 2016.DCHRS_Month_of_February_2017_Casualties_Report_English