Executive Summary: In January 2017, DCHRS documented 690 casualties, including 99 children and 65 women. 86% of those killed were civilians. The remaining 14% were combatants, armed rebels, and soldiers from different fighting factions. Women and children respectively made up 14% and 9% of the total number of war casualties, while the remaining 72% were men.
Out of the male casualties, 82% were unarmed men civilians and 18% were armed from various factions.
The highest number of casualties in January, 2017 was recorded in Aleppo province (199 persons in total), followed by Der Ezzor (132 persons in total), most of whom were killed by the indiscriminate shelling of the Syrian regime, Russian forces, Turkish forces, and the U.S.-led international coalition.
Additionally, Russian airstrikes resulted in the death of 127 victims accumulating to 18% of the entire casualties, most of them were killed mainly in Der Ezzor province regardless of the agreed “Ceasefire” that was implemented on Feb 27, 2016, and the related agreement that went into effect on Dec 29, 2016.DCHRS_Month_of_January_2017_Casualties_Report_English