Damascus Center for Human Rights Studies (DCHRS)

Aleppo Provinces Recorded the Highest Number of Victims in May 2016

Casualties Report for May 2016

In May 2016, DCHRS documented 1086 casualties, including 134 children and 112 women. 72% of those killed were civilians. The remaining 28% were combatants, armed rebels, and soldiers from different fighting factions. Women and children respectively made up 10% and 12% of the total number of war casualties.

Out of the male casualties, 71% were unarmed men civilians and 29% were armed from various factions.

The highest number of casualties in May, 2016 was recorded in Aleppo province (393 persons in total), Followed by Damascus suburbs (175 persons in total), most of whom died due to indiscriminate shelling.

Additionally, Russian airstrikes assaults resulted in the death of 77 victims accumulating to 7% of the entire casualties, most of them were killed mainly in Aleppo, regardless of the agreed “Ceasefire” that was implemented on Feb 27, 2016.

Read the full report here