Damascus Center for Human Rights Studies (DCHRS)

Aleppo Provinces then Der Ezzor Recorded the Highest Number of Victims in January 2016

Casualties Report for January 2016

Executive Summary: In January 2016 DCHRS documented 1,647 casualties, including 229 children and 192 women. 82% of those killed were civilians. The remaining 18% were combatants, armed rebels, and soldiers from different fighting factions. Women and children respectively made up 12% and 14% of the total number of war casualties.

Out of the male casualties, 75% were unarmed men civilians and 25% were armed from various factions.

The highest number of casualties in January, 2016 was recorded in Aleppo province (358 persons in total), Followed by Der Ezzor (339 persons in total), most of whom died due to indiscriminate shelling.

Additionally, Russian airstrikes assaults resulted in the death of 850 victims accumulating to 52% of the entire casualties, most of them were killed mainly in Der Ezzor, Aleppo and Idlib.

Read the full report here