As the war endures, violence and systematic human rights abuses continue to be common tactics used by the Syrian government regime’s forces. DCHRS documented in the month of September 2013 a total of 2369 victims who were killed by regime forces and their loyal militias. 60% of those killed were civilians, totaling 1375 victims; the 994 remaining victims, which makes up approximately 40% of those killed, were armed opposition forces.
This report covers the days from August 21, 2013 to September 1, 2013. DCHRS was able to document 678 victims who were killed by chemical weapons. However, DCHRS is certain that the number of victims exceeded 1,600 as a result of the large area that was affected and the lack of medical equipment, which in turn caused many people to die from suffocation.
Damascus – 24/07/2013 – The Damascus Centre for Human Rights Studies monitored the humanitarian situation of- five thousands displaced Syrians from the city of Nawa. The city of Nawa was heavily bombarded by the regime forces killing and wounding many citizens, destroying a large number of buildings and infrastructure, and forcing the rest of the residents to flee and seek refuge at the city of Tal Shihab.
Damascus – 10/06/2013 The Damascus Center for Human Rights Studies has established three local offices inside Syria. These offices are managed by activists and human rights defenders. One of the offices will operate in and cover northern Syria, the second the middle regions and provinces, and the last the southern parts of the country.
Statement about Casualties and Violation among Christians in the Syrian Revolution
The Syrian Network for Human Rights has documented the death of 69 Syrian Christians form the beginning of the Syrian Revolution until 24-12-2012 including 3 children and 7 women. All the victims were civilians and were killed at the hands of the Syrian army and security forces affiliated to the Syrian government.
The number of internally displaced persons has alarmingly spiked making it impossible for local organizations and committees to cover their needs. The number has risen from 3.5 million according to the latest statistic by the Syrian Network for Human Rights issued in early October 2012 to reach around 4.8 million by early December 2012. The bulk of IDPs in the past month came from Aleppo due to the increase in random bombardment by Meg warplanes using explosive barrels. According to SNHR member in Aleppo, the occupancy rate dropped to as low as 4% in some neighbourhoods as most of the residents fled their homes in fear for their lives and the lives of their families. In Homs, on the other hand, many neighbourhoods remain completely deserted such as al-Qusour neighbourhood which has been almost completely destroyed.
The Syrian Network for Human Rights has been able to confirm and document that the Syrian regime has arrested no less than 194,000 Syrian citizens since March 2011. Those include around 9,000 people under 18 and 600 women.
The figure also includes no less than 60,000 cases of forced disappearance which refers to cases where persons are arrested, detained, or abducted by a state or political organization or by authorization, support or disregard of such action by such bodies who subsequently refuse to acknowledge such act or provide information about those persons’ status or location in order to deprive them from legal protection for an extended period of time.
Comprehensive death toll of the Syrian casualties killed by the Syrian regime since the beginning of the revolution to the end of July, 31/07/2012)
July is considered to be the bloodiest month with at least 3643 victims that are documented with names, places, and photos; amongst the victims:
Syrian Network for Human Rights Violation Report for Monday, 30 July, 2012